Important! Bring your own system configured according to these instructions!
A properly configured system is required to fully participate in this course. If you do not carefully read and follow these instructions, you will likely leave the class unsatisfied because you will not be able to participate in hands-on exercises that are essential to this course. Therefore, we strongly urge you to arrive with a system meeting all the requirements specified for the course.
The ICS612 course consists of instruction and a significant number of hands-on exercises. The exercises are designed to allow students to put knowledge gained throughout the course into practice in an instructor-led environment. Students will have the opportunity to install, configure, and use the tools and techniques that they have learned.
NOTE: Do not bring a regular production laptop for this class! When installing software, there is always a chance of breaking something else on the system. Students should assume that all data could be lost.
NOTE: It is critical that students have administrator access to the operating system and the ability to disable all security software installed. Changes may need to be made to personal firewalls and other host-based software in order for the labs to work.
Laptop requirements include the following:
- Latest version of Windows 10, macOS 10.15.x or later, or Linux that also can install and run VMware virtualization products described below.
- 64-bit processor with 64-bit operating system
- VT or other 64-bit virtualization settings enabled in your BIOS to run 64-bit VMs
- At least 8 GB of RAM
- At least 120 GB of free hard-drive space
- At least one USB port
- Ability to update BIOS configuration settings to enable virtualization (VT) support
- VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.X+, VMware Player 15.5.X+ or Fusion 11.5+
- Access to an account with administrative permissions and the ability to disable all security software on your laptop such as Antivirus and/or firewalls if needed for the class
- If you are using Linux for your host machine, you will need ExFAT drivers installed to read the class USB drive
- Connection to a physical Ethernet switch is necessary, a laptop with an Integrated physical network port or a supported external Ethernet USB adapter will be required
Note: Apple systems using the M1 processor cannot perform the necessary virtualization at this time and cannot be used for this course.
Your course media will now be delivered via download. The media files for class can be large, some in the 40 - 50 GB range. You need to allow plenty of time for the download to complete. Internet connections and speed vary greatly and are dependent on many different factors. Therefore, it is not possible to give an estimate of the length of time it will take to download your materials. Please start your course media downloads as you get the link. You will need your course media immediately on the first day of class. Waiting until the night before the class starts to begin your download has a high probability of failure.
SANS has begun providing printed materials in PDF form. Additionally, certain classes are using an electronic workbook in addition to the PDFs. The number of classes using eWorkbooks will grow quickly. In this new environment, we have found that a second monitor and/or a tablet device can be useful by keeping the class materials visible while the instructor is presenting or while you are working on lab exercises.