Gain access to world class cybersecurity training while supporting SANS staff and instructors in our classrooms. Your Work Study participation will involve course and event setup, student evaluation processing, classroom monitoring, and technical support communication for the course into which you are accepted.
In exchange for your work, you will benefit from an in-depth SANS training experience, which will often include a GIAC Certification exam attempt and extended OnDemand training platform access.
Qualification for the program requires application via the form above, and a demonstration of strong organization, support, and leadership skills. You must be dependable, able to follow direction, and be attentive and conscientious. If this sounds like you, learn more about the program options below.
SANS Online training Moderators assist staff with virtual classroom setup activities, student communications moderation, daily wrap-up activities, and other tasks as assigned by the event supervisor. They will work closely with the course instructor(s) and the students, and will be responsible for the following:
- Completing the Online Moderator Training before the first day of the course.
- Arriving 1 hour prior to course start time.
- Monitoring virtual training platforms.
- Communicating with SANS Support teams when help is needed.
- Distributing and processing student evaluations.
SANS In-Person Facilitators assist staff with event setup activities, courseware preparation, daily wrap-up activities, and other tasks as assigned by the event supervisor. They will work closely with the course instructor(s) and the students, and will be responsible for the following:
- Reporting to work the day before the course begins. See more specific information about arrival times in the guidelines document.
- Securing the classroom and instructor's equipment by prohibiting access by unauthorized personnel.
- Communicating with the SANS support teams when help is needed.
- Facilitating event bonus sessions as needed.
- Distributing and processing student evaluations.
- Tearing down and packing up course/event on the last day of the course.
Work Study Course Tuition
- 4, 5, or 6 Day courses: USD 2,500 or EUR 2,300 total plus VAT where applicable.
- 1, 2, or 3 Day courses and Summit: USD 417 per day or EUR 384 per day plus VAT where applicable.
- International tax may apply toward Australian and European tuition fees.
- NetWars Continuous, travel, lodging, and meals are not included in the Work Study fee.
- Payment from a Voucher account is not an acceptable form of payment.
- GIAC Candidates attempting the GSE will not be authorized to facilitate at the same event.
- A GIAC Certification exam attempt is not available for every course.
- There is a cost to add the exam attempt when taken in conjunction with conference training. Confirmed reservations at the conference-hosted hotel will result in the addition of the corresponding GIAC certification to facilitator's conference registration. The hotel's reservation confirmation will ensure that the exam attempt can be added free of charge. Local residents or facilitators lodging with family or friends can also receive the exam inclusive on the registration invoice. If a facilitator does not choose to lodge at at the conference-hosted hotel or with friends or family, the cost of the exam attempt will apply.
- The exam attempt will be available to practice and to schedule proctoring 7-days following the event. Access is for 120 days/4 months before expiration. All GIAC Certification deadlines are displayed in Universal Time (UTC), also known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Extension charge will apply.
- Monthly exam extensions are available for purchase should you wish to lengthen your access period beyond the standard deadline.
- The OnDemand online training tool is not available for every course.
- A facilitator can request early access to their OnDemand Bundle online course pre-event, 24-48 hours after Work Study payment is confirmed. To check if the 4-6 day course the facilitator is accepted to facilitate can be included in the registration, visit SANS OnDemand library.
- Access is for 120 days/4 months before expiration. OnDemand deadlines are displayed in Universal Time (UTC), also known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Extensions are available at an additional fee.
- OnDemand will include web-based courseware; course lectures and assessment tests presented one learning objective at a time, email access to our virtual mentor, and complimentary audio files. (Available in .mp3 or .mp4 format of a pre-recorded live session) Some of our technical courses also include hands-on exercises and labs.
- Accepted Work Study Program facilitators understand that the courseware, OnDemand training, and certification co-relate and are not interchangeable.
- Accepted Work Study Program facilitators understand that SANS training materials are periodically updated.
- In order to provide facilitators with access to the OnDemand bundle prior to the training event, we risk the chance that the course material presented in OnDemand may not match exactly with what will be taught at the training event. The possible differences in course material between your OnDemand course and what will be presented at the training event cannot be pre-identified as some of our courses undergo extensive updates during an update cycle and some do not.
- The updated online version of the course is not released to the public until 7 days after the training event, when non-facilitators would receive their bundle access. Facilitators will not receive access to these course updates that are released in OnDemand. The timestamp of your "pre-access" locks you into the earlier version of the course.
- Although the OnDemand bundle is provided to facilitators at no extra charge, the bundles are not available for all SANS Courses.
- The length of access to the OnDemand bundle is 4 months. Your OnDemand bundle access period begins the moment it issued to your SANS account. Monthly OnDemand extensions are available for purchase should you wish to lengthen your access period beyond the standard deadline.