Nick started collecting hacking newspaper articles back in the 80's when security was just starting to grow, and was immediately hooked. He is a certified ISC2 instructor, a GIAC advisory board member and has an MSc (with distinction) in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics from Edinburgh Napier University and a BSc (with distinction and the highest held graduation grade of the department) from the Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly. He has a great passion for teaching and has trained many individuals in a variety of security topics, mainly focusing in SIEM, security operation centers, incident response and security certification courses.
Nick has worked for a variety of companies (including the Greek Ministry of Education, AT&T, F5 Networks, JP Morgan Chase, KPMG and Deloitte) and has provided critical advice to many clients that want to improve their current security posture by creating new security operation centers and protocols, developing vulnerability management programs, managing third parties and security vendors, testing incident handling and forensic teams, redesigning perimeter security solutions, and developing custom-tailored training courses for company staff and specialised security teams. One of the greatest challenges for most security professionals is ensuring they have an in-depth understanding of all fundamental concepts of security. Nick loves teaching classes that help students obtain the knowledge required to secure their environments and enhance their personal security posture to protect themselves in an ever-growing digital arena.
- GSEC (GIAC Security Essentials)
- GISF (GIAC Information Security Fundamentals)
- GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler)
- GPEN (GIAC Network Penetration Tester)
- GWAPT (GIAC Web Application Penetration Tester)
- GBFA (GIAC Battlefield Forensics and Acquisition)
- GCLD (GIAC Cloud Security Essentials)
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- CISM (Certified Information Security Manager)
- CCSP (Certified Cloud Security Professional)
- SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner)
- CISMP (Certificate in Information Security Management Principles)
- CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
- Splunk Certified User
- CYSA+ (CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst)
- CASP+ (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner)
- Cisco CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and CCNA Cyber Ops (Cisco Certified CyberOps Associate)
- CMFF (Cellebrite Mobile Forensics Fundamentals)
- CBE (Certified BlackLight Examiner)
- CPIA (CREST Practitioner Intrusion Analyst)
- CertNexus CFR (CyberSec First Responder)
- NCSC Certified Instructor
He is also the author of two popular exam guides and co-author of a third one:
- SANS CISO Network and GIAC Advisory Board Member.
- Elevated to Senior IEEE membership which is the highest membership level awarded by application within and only reserved for individuals with significant contribution to the profession.
- Was added to the United Nations Hall of Fame due to identifying a security vulnerability affecting the United Nations network.
- Was selected to participate in Cisco’s Champion program and was able to provide feedback for Cisco technologies, influence product direction and provide security steering.
- CyberOps Scholarship Program selected over thousands of candidates applying for the prestigious Cisco CyberOps scholarship program.
- Centre for Cyber Safety and Education Volunteer and scholarship panellist
Resources from Nick
- Medium Blog: https://nickmitropoulos.medium.com/
- Bsides Athens Security Certifications: Training on a Budget and Breaking Down the HR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYz6HTMZ29U
- Using Hydra To Crack The Door Open (https://hakin9.org/usinghydratocrackthedooropen/)
- Incident Management with TheHive (https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/incident-management-thehive)
- Cyber Security is Great. What About Physical Security?