Nick started collecting hacking newspaper articles back in the 80's when security was just starting to grow, and was immediately hooked. He is a certified ISC2 instructor, a GIAC advisory board member and has an MSc (with distinction) in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics from Edinburgh Napier University and a BSc (with distinction and the highest held graduation grade of the department) from the Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly. He has a great passion for teaching and has trained many individuals in a variety of security topics, mainly focusing in SIEM, security operation centers, incident response and security certification courses.
Nick has worked for a variety of companies (including the Greek Ministry of Education, AT&T, F5 Networks, JP Morgan Chase, KPMG and Deloitte) and has provided critical advice to many clients that want to improve their current security posture by creating new security operation centers and protocols, developing vulnerability management programs, managing third parties and security vendors, testing incident handling and forensic teams, redesigning perimeter security solutions, and developing custom-tailored training courses for company staff and specialised security teams.
Nick holds over 30 security certifications including GIAC (GCIH, GPEN, GWAPT, GISF), ISC2 (SSCP, Certified ISC2 instructor), CompTIA (Security+), Cisco (CCNA Cyber Ops, CCNA Security, CCNA Routing & Switching, CCDA), Palo Alto (ACE), Qualys (Certified Specialist in AssetView and ThreatPROTECT, Cloud Agent, PCI Compliance, Policy Compliance, Vulnerability Management, Web Application Scanning), Splunk (Splunk Certified User) and more.
He is also the author of two popular exam guides:
One of the greatest challenges for most security professionals is ensuring they have an in-depth understanding of all fundamental concepts of security. Nick loves teaching classes that help students obtain the knowledge required to secure their environments and enhance their personal security posture to protect themselves in an ever-growing digital arena.
- SANS CISO Network and GIAC Advisory Board Member.
- Elevated to Senior IEEE membership which is the highest membership level awarded by application within and only reserved for individuals with significant contribution to the profession.
- Was added to the United Nations Hall of Fame due to identifying a security vulnerability affecting the United Nations network.
- Was selected to participate in Cisco’s Champion program and was able to provide feedback for Cisco technologies, influence product direction and provide security steering.
- CyberOps Scholarship Program selected over thousands of candidates applying for the prestigious Cisco CyberOps scholarship program.
- GSEC (GIAC Security Essentials)
- GISF (GIAC Information Security Fundamentals)
- GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler)
- GPEN (GIAC Network Penetration Tester)
- GWAPT (GIAC Web Application Penetration Tester)
- GBFA (GIAC Battlefield Forensics and Acquisition)
- ISC2 CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- ISC2 SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner)
- EC-Council CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
- Splunk Certified User
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA CYSA+ (Cybersecurity Analyst)
- Cisco CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and CCNA Cyber Ops (Cisco Certified CyberOps Associate)
Resources from Nick
Using Hydra To Crack The Door Open (https://hakin9.org/usinghydratocrackthedooropen/)
“I have been fortunate enough to work with Nick multiple times within different areas of our organisation. Nick is one of the most talented security specialists that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He was originally hired to manage the on-boarding of critical new service lines for one of our largest clients. During this time he displayed a clear willingness to always go the extra mile to ensure the services were delivered and run at an exceptional standard. Nick has a clear love of teaching, this is evident from his desire to constantly teach and train SOC analysts in any areas of security that they may be lacking or need extra reinforcement. His dedication to applying himself fully to all tasks/challenges given to him and his ability to adapt to any work environment as well as maintaining a level head in all situations is the reason he has been contracted for multiple projects within our organisation and ensured a long standing future relationship with our company.” – Sam Waylen, Senior Cyber Security Analyst at Schroders