Apply for the Next Cyber Workforce Academy - Maryland
The SANS Cyber Workforce Academy - Maryland is comprised of two separate tracks, both options are open to Maryland residents only. The academies provide job seekers with advanced technical training, industry-recognized GIAC certifications, and the in-demand, hands-on cybersecurity skills Maryland employers require.
Reskilling Academy provides accelerated cybersecurity training, across 6 months, to individuals not currently working in cybersecurity
Upskilling Academy for individuals with IT experience or limited cybersecurity skills to upskill into an in-demand position.
- Ongoing admissions — candidates considered for various cohorts based on when they apply
- New cohorts launch every 45-90 days
How the Program Works
Interested candidates will follow the application process below, candidates must earn an invitation to progress to each stage of the process.
- Complete a web application form.
- The application will be reviewed and an online assessment sent within three days.
- Complete the online assessment within five days. (unless otherwise specified)
- Assessment results are reviewed once a week.
- Submit supporting documents to complete the application.
- Phone interview.
- All candidates receive an acceptance or denial notification within four weeks of the application deadline
Participants will complete three training modules:
Required Course (in order):
Participants will be offered up to 2 courses, depending on their selected area of interest. Course offerings will vary based on assessed competencies in their area of interest and career goals
Cloud, Audit & Management, Offensive Security, Defensive Security, Forensics, and Industrial Control Systems
You are NOT eligible for either program if you:
- Do not live in or have proof of permanent residency in the state of Maryland
- Have been employed in a direct information security role for 3 or more years outside of your military service
- Are currently pursuing or hold a master's degree or Ph.D. in information security
Time Commitment for Students
The Academy is a fast-track, intensive program, and students are expected to complete all coursework and certifications in up to six months. On average, it takes most SANS Cyber Academy students 100 hours to prepare for one GIAC certification attempt.
Cybersecurity Industry Resource of the Year Award
“We’re thrilled to be recognized as a leading player in the Maryland cybersecurity community with the 2021 Cyber Industry Resource of the Year Award,” said Rob Lee, Chief Curriculum Director and Head of Faculty at SANS Institute. “Behind this recognition is our team’s determination to provide our customers with outstanding protection against cybersecurity threats. As security threats evolve, we pride ourselves on the ability to pivot and be on the forefront of innovation.”