Apply for the Next Cyber Workforce Academy - Maryland
The SANS Cyber Workforce Academy - EARN - MD is comprised of two separate tracks, both options are open to Maryland residents only. The academies provide job seekers with advanced technical training, industry-recognized GIAC certifications, and the in-demand, hands-on cybersecurity skills Maryland employers require.
Reskilling Academy provides accelerated cybersecurity training, in just months, to individuals not currently working in cybersecurity
Upskilling Academy for individuals with IT experience or limited cybersecurity skills to upskill into an in-demand position.
For questions about the SANS Cyber Immersion Academies, applications, or processes please contact email@example.com.
How the Program Works
Interested candidates will follow the application process below, candidates must earn an invitation to progress to each stage of the process. Not all applicants will receive invitations to progress to the next stage.
- Complete a web application form.
- The application will be reviewed and an online assessment sent within three days.
- Complete the online assessment within five days. (unless otherwise specified)
- Assessment results are reviewed once a week.
- Submit supporting documents to complete the application.
- Phone interview.
- All candidates receive notification of acceptance or denial, the notification timeframe is dependent on the volume of applications.
- ReskillReskillThis path is for individuals not currently working in cybersecurity who want to change their careers to get into the field. This track focuses on cyber aptitude rather than on formal education.
- UpskillUpskillDesigned to help advance stalled careers in cybersecurity, this academy provides a path for individuals with IT experience or limited cybersecurity skills to upskill into an in-demand cybersecurity position in two to four months.
You will complete two core training courses and your choice of one elective course.
Core training modules:
Choice of one elective option:
You will be offered up to two courses, depending on your selected area of interest. Course offerings will vary based on assessed aptitude in your selected area of interest and career goals.
Cloud, Audit & Management, Offensive Security, Defensive Security, Forensics, and Industrial Control Systems
You are NOT eligible for either program if you:
- Do not live in or have proof of permanent residency in the state of Maryland
- Have been employed in a direct information security role for 3 or more years outside of your military service
- Are currently pursuing or hold a master's degree or Ph.D. in information security
Time Commitment for Students
The Academy is a fast-track, intensive program, and students are expected to complete all coursework and certifications in up to six months. On average, it takes most SANS Cyber Academy students 100 hours to prepare for one GIAC certification attempt.