David Szili got his first computer, a 486DX2, at the age of 10 and quickly discovered his talent and passion for bending and twisting systems and programs to achieve results beyond their intended purpose. One of the few games he had on the computer was SimCity, a game that he always ended up losing with a bankrupted city after 20-30 minutes of playing. David discovered a magazine explaining how to edit saved game files, eventually learning how to open the files of his saved games with a hex editor to overwrite the amount of money he had. From that point on, David was hooked and had found his career path.Today, David is managing partner and CTO at Alzette Information Security, a consulting company based in Luxembourg. He has more than eight years of professional experience in penetration testing, red teaming, vulnerability assessment, vulnerability management, security monitoring, security architecture design, incident response, digital forensics and software development.
In his instructor role at SANS, David loves to teach concepts of analysis, detection, and response as these are the skills needed by modern-day defenders who face determined attackers. David also focuses on practical application, even when teaching the theoretical background of a material, he makes sure to bring in real-life examples and case studies. He also puts extra emphasis on hands-on skills development and demos during class, because "as defenders of an organization," says David, "students need to 'train as they fight.'"
- Managing partner and CTO of Alzette Information Security, a consulting company based in Luxembourg
- Member of the organizing team for BSides Luxembourg, a conference fully dedicated to defense topics
- Instructor for SANS FOR572: Advanced Network Forensics: Threat Hunting, Analysis, and Incident Response
- Certifications: GSEC, GCED, GCIA, GCIH, GMON, GNFA, GYPC, GMOB, OSCP, OSWP, CEH
Get to Know David Szili
- Presentations and Events: Hack.lu, BruCON, Hacktivity, x33fcon, Nuit du Hack, BSides Munich, BSidesBUD, BSides Ljubljana, BSides Luxembourg (part of the organizing team)
You can hear David talk about the metric system at BSides Budapest in 2018 here:
ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS BY DAVID SZILI:
How to Build a Threat Detection Strategy in AWS, September 2019
Advanced Zeek Usage: Scripting and Framework, September 2019
You can read David's blog here.