ICS NetWars is a suite of hands-on, interactive learning scenarios
that enable Operational Technology (OT) security professionals to
develop and master the real-world, in-depth skills they need to defend
real-time systems. Designed to be accessible to a broad level of player
Scenarios & Levels
The Delicious Edible Foods (DEF) is a fictional multinational food manufacturing company specializing in cookie and snack food products. The company utilizes highly automated and secret manufacturing processes which have contributed to extraordinary growth and profits. Recently, DEF has begun receiving customer complaints about "mixed bag" packaging which included random cookie types mixed into packages where they didn't belong presenting serious health risks to consumers with food allergies. An FDA investigation is underway and lawsuits have already been filed. Your mission: identify if DEF has been compromised, defend the operation environment and reinstate confidence in the safety and quality of the process.
- ICS NetWars provides participants with a challenging scenario facing an operational process control environment. Players will be challenged to develop a full understanding of the environment, equipment, infrastructure, and vulnerabilities throughout Level 1 play.
- As players enter into Level 2, they will access 100's of data artifacts from within the simulated process environment and will need to perform analysis, forensics, and incident response activities in order to complete Level 2.
- Players are provided a series of host and network data sets as well as virtual machines to use as they perform direct analysis of ICS specific adversary activity within a process environment.
- Players will directly interact with a live process environment within the DEF cookie factory, as they work to validate and verify the integrity of the control system environment.
- Factory vs factory competition model will be developed at a later date.
- Spear Phishing
- Command and Control
- Credential theft
- Lateral and vertical movement
- Security configuration modification
- Process manipulation
- ICS specific malware
Blue Team (Defender) Actions
Participants play the role of Incident Responder analyzing collected artifacts including system event and security logs, firewall logs, network diagrams, system as-built information and many other items to answer a series of questions. The goal is to identify what happened, how to stop the damage, and how to restore consistency and reliability to the process.
- 64-bit system
- Laptop with at least one USB port
- Laptop must include Wireless capabilities
- Latest VMware Player or admin privileges with the ability to install VMplayer and enable VT support in BIOS
- Ability to disable all security software on your laptop, including antivirus and/or firewalls
- At least 30 GB of free hard-drive space (50 GB recommended)
- At least 8 GB of RAM
- Laptop with Windows 7 or higher installed on the host or in a Virtual Machine is helpful for many questions
For more information about ICS NetWars email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICS NetWars Tournament Schedule
Please check back for more details as future events will be added for SANS Community members. Join the community now.