2023 Academy Schedule
How the application process works
Interested candidates should follow the application process below.
- Complete a web application form.
- Your application will be reviewed, and an online assessment sent within three days.
- Complete the online assessment within five days (unless otherwise specified).
- Submit supporting documents to complete your application.
- Complete an interview questionnaire.
- All candidates receive notification of acceptance or denial, the notification timeframe is dependent on the volume of applications.
- The application process is a competitive process. You must be invited to each of the stages listed above.
Numbers at a Glance
SANS Diversity Cyber Academy is an all-inclusive program focused on women and minorities of Black, Latinx, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Asian Pacific, Asian Indian, or sub-Saharan backgrounds, who are career changers with a high aptitude and passion for cybersecurity.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Seniors in college; preferably (not required) pursuing a degree in a Computer/IT-related field or technical STEM discipline
- College graduates and career changers not working in the information security field nor with prior work experience in the information security field
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent legal residents (Green card holders) with work authorization and currently living in the US.
- Note: Transitioning military service members, active members of the reserve forces, US Coast Guard members, and military veterans are encouraged to apply to the VetSuccess Academy instead. Applicants must be within six months of separation.
Via our SANS OnDemand modality, students will take:
Step by Step Information on the Application Process
Learn more about the application process and how the academy helps launch your new cybersecurity career in six months.
For questions about the SANS Cyber Immersion Academies, applications, or process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Time Commitment for Students
The CDA is a fast-track, intensive program, and students are expected the time required to complete the program will vary by student. Students are given two months to complete the training modules for each course and pass the corresponding GIAC Certification exam. Each student will complete two required courses before moving on to an optional third advanced course. Altogether, the full program will take students no longer than nine months to complete.
On average, it takes most SANS students 100 hours to prepare for one GIAC certification attempt.
All courses are taken online via SANS OnDemand and are self-paced. Students are required to complete each course and certification in eight weeks depending on the particular academy's schedule.