How the application process works
Interested candidates should follow the application process below. After applying, candidates must earn an invitation to progress to each stage of the process.
- Complete a web application form.
- Your application will be reviewed, and an online assessment sent within three days.
- Complete the online assessment within five days (unless otherwise specified).
- Submit supporting documents to complete your application.
- Participate in a phone interview.
- All candidates receive notification of acceptance or denial within four weeks of the application deadline.
Numbers at a Glance
SANS Cyber Diversity Academy is an all-inclusive program focused on women and minorities of Black, Latinx, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Asian Pacific, Asian Indian, or sub-Saharan backgrounds, who are career changers with a high aptitude and passion for cybersecurity.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Seniors in college; preferably (not required) pursuing a degree in a Computer/IT-related field or technical STEM discipline
- College graduates and career changers not working in the information security field nor with prior work experience in the information security field
- Applicants must be a US citizen or a permanent legal resident (Green card holder) with work authorization and currently living in the US.
- Note: Transitioning military service members, active members of the reserve forces, US Coast Guard members, and military veterans are encouraged to apply to the VetSuccess Academy instead. Applicants must be within six months of separation.
Via our SANS OnDemand modality, students will take:
Elective Courses and Certifications
Time Commitment for Students
The CDA is a fast-track, intensive program, and students are expected the time required to complete the program will vary by student. Students are given two months to complete the training modules for each course and pass the corresponding GIAC Certification exam. Each student will complete two required courses before moving on to an optional third advanced course. Altogether, the full program will take students no longer than six months to complete.
On average, it takes most SANS students 100 hours to prepare for one GIAC certification attempt.
All courses are taken online via SANS OnDemand and are self-paced.
Students are required to complete each course and certification in eight
weeks depending on the particular academy's schedule.