For those of you interested in security culture, we have some exciting news for you. The SANS Security Culture for Leaders course has been significantly updated – everything from the name of the course to the content, labs, and handouts.
What We’ve Changed
- Created an entirely new capstone for the last day requiring you to apply everything you have learned in the course. Compete as teams in the Cyber42 security culture simulation game to see who can create the strongest security culture. This capstone will put you and your team in real-world scenarios that spur discussion and critical thinking, requiring you to make very tough decisions.
Added and expanded labs to require greater team interaction and involve even more realistic scenarios, i.e. they just got even more challenging
Redesigned how security culture is measured to make it not only easier to quantify your security culture but make it far more actionable
Incorporated greater alignment with the Transformational Cybersecurity Leaders Triad (LDR512 and LDR514 courses), enabling you to truly grow your skills and career as a security leader, up to and including all the way to CISO
Build and Measure a Strong Security Culture
Drawing on real-world lessons from around the world, the SANS LDR521 Security Culture for Leadership course will teach you how to leverage the principles of organizational change to develop, maintain, and measure a strong security culture. Through hands-on instruction and a series of interactive labs and exercises, you will apply these concepts to various real-world security initiatives and quickly learn how to embed security into your organization's culture, from senior leadership on down. Apply findings from Daniel Kahneman's Nobel prize-winning research, Thayler and Sunstein's Nudge Theory, and Simon Sinek's Golden Circle. Learn how Spock, Homer Simpson, the Elephant and Rider, and the Curse of Knowledge are all keys to building a strong security culture at your company.
- Create a far more engaged and secure workforce, not only in their attitudes about security but also in their behavior
- Dramatically improve the ROI of security initiatives and projects through increased success and impact
- Strengthen communication between the security team and business executives
- Instill stronger and more positive attitudes, perceptions, and beliefs about the security team
- Construct simpler, more effective security policies and governance
After completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain what organizational culture is, its importance to security, and how to map and measure both your organization's overall culture and security culture
- Align your security culture to your organization's strategy, including the use of different security frameworks and maturity models
- Effectively communicate the business value of security to your Board of Directors and executives, and more effectively engage and motivate your workforce
- Enable and secure your workforce by integrating security into all aspects of your organization's culture
- Dramatically improve both the effectiveness and impact of your security initiatives, such as DevSecOps, cloud migration, vulnerability management, Security Operations Center, incident detection & response and other related security projects
- Create and effectively communicate business cases to leadership and gain their support for your security initiatives
- Measure your security culture, understanding how to make those measurements actionable and how to present the maturity and value of your security culture to leadership
- Leverage numerous templates and resources from the Digital Download Package and Community Forum that are part of the course and which you can then build on immediately
Expand your security skills and grow your leadership opportunities with the new SANS LDR521 Security Culture for Leaders course. Take the course online or in-person. Find more info at the SANS LDR521 homepage.