What is the difference between NetWars Tournament and NetWars Continuous?
- NetWars Tournament runs over an intense two- to three-day period, at either a SANS training event or hosted facility, while NetWars Continuous is available across the Internet over a four month period.
- NetWars Continuous offers a completely separate set of challenges from NetWars Tournament. Although it is organized into the same five levels, there are more in-depth challenges in NetWars Continuous, given its four-month timespan.
- NetWars Continuous offers a unique Automated Hint System, so you can simply click on a button to receive a hint to help you move forward, without any penalty whatsoever. The Automated Hint System makes NetWars Continuous an ideal learning environment for hands-on infosec skills.
- With NetWars Tournament you have the ability to earn 6 CMU/CPE credits, while NetWars Continuous provides participants who reach Level Three 12 CMU/CPEs.
What is the difference between Core NetWars and DFIR NetWars?
I'm new to the industry. Will I be overwhelmed by NetWars?
The environment includes five levels that progressively increase in difficulty. No matter your skill level, anyone can jump right in and begin answering questions at Level 1.
I'm a seasoned InfoSec pro. Will this challenge me?
What if I get stumped? What if I crash and burn?
This is all offensive stuff, right? I'm a defender...
When does my subscription begin? (NetWars Continuous Only)
- If you purchase NetWars Continuous as a stand-alone product or as a bundle with an OnDemand course your subscription link will be active within 48 hours.
- If you purchase NetWars Continuous as a bundle option with a live or simulcast course your subscription link will be active 7 days after the last day of the event.
What is the difference between NetWars Continuous and NetWars Tournament? Are they the same challenges?
How do I get a trial? (NetWars Continuous Only)
Which SANS courses would best help me prepare for NetWars?
What are the system requirements for participating?
Is there any certification or CPE credit available for participating in NetWars?
Are there any discounts available for NetWars Continuous (NWC)?
NWC (accessed across the Internet over a four-month timeframe) is available to NetWars Tournament participants or as a bundle option for those who purchase any SANS long course for $1199 (a $2890 value). A discount code will be sent to NetWars Tournament participants after the event that can be used to register for NWC at the discounted rate.
If NWC is being added to a registration as a bundle option with a long course it must be added within the following time frames consistent with the addition of other products:
- Conference and Simulcast- before the end of the event
- OnDemand and SelfStudy- within the first 30 days of access
- vLive, Community, and Mentor- by the last day of class
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information on adding NWC to a vLive or Mentor class or to add the NWC bundle to an existing registration.
Are there any discounts available for NetWars Tournament?
Can an extension be purchased for NetWars Continuous?
Is NetWars US only?
Where do I get the VM?
Can I submit one answer at a time, or do I have to answer all the questions before submitting?
Can I use Google or other outsider resources to help me answer the questions?
How do I log into the scoring server? When I enter my username and password it says they are incorrect.
Levels 1 and 2
Can I install VMWare Tools on the VM?
How do I change the resolution of the VM?
This gives you a list of valid resolutions which can then be changed to using:
$ xrandr -s [width]x[height]
How do I copy/paste?
Will my files still be there if I shut down or reboot the VM?
How do I access the SSH gateway?
$ ssh -i [path_to_private_key] -p [sshd_listening_port] [lowercase_username]@netwars-ng.counterhackchallenges.com
$ ssh -i [path_to_private_key] -p [sshd_listening_port] [lowercase_username]@netwars-ngc.counterhackchallenges.com
How do I browse the websites on the target boxes only available through the SSH gateway?
What tools are on the SSH gateway?
Still have questions? Drop us a note at email@example.com