Editor's Note: National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) is here and we are enabling organizations to make this most of October. Every Monday this month we post a new blog on how to make the most of NCSAM and the NCSAM Planning Kit. The planning kit is everything you need for a successful October, to include daily activities, resources and templates. As per the national theme, this week we focus on Our Continuously Connected Lives: What's Your "Apptitude"?.
It's week four of NCSAM, the last full week in October. For this week we focus on how almost every device we interact with is becoming connected to the Internet, to include Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial Control Systems (ICS). The growing risk of so many vulnerable systems connecting around the world was recently seen in the largest DDoS attack ever against blogger Brian Krebs (whom if you are not following, please do!). As such, we want to be sure people understand and know the basic steps to securing these systems. To help you do just that, for this week's kit we include the following:
- Monday: A communications template that helps you communicate to your organization what is coming this week.
- Tuesday: Distribute the OUCH newsletter on Internet of Things (IoT). Part of the challenge with IoT is many people do not even realize what IoT is, let alone the risks involved or how to secure them. This newsletter addresses both issues. Remember you can find OUCH in 25 different languages in the OUCH Archives.
- Wednesday: For this day we will blog How to Deal With Smart Technologies. We will be posting the blog live on the Securing The Human blog Tuesday evening where anyone can learn more. Have employees visit the blog on that day.
- Thursday: This is a perfect day to hold your Mobile Device event. Full details on what to provide and how in this Mobile Device Checkup Event Planning Template.
- Friday: On Friday of this week we will be posting a blog closing out the month, highlighting all the key activities and events from National Cyber Security Awareness Month.
NCSAM is a tremendous opportunity to build awareness in your organization and ultimately develop a secure culture. For more ideas on how to build a high-impact awareness program, check out these upcoming webcasts, two day courses and the European Security Awareness Summit 11 Nov in London.