While National Cyber Security Awareness Month may be coming to a close, that doesn't mean you should start pro-cat-stinating! Keep the momentum going and help people protect their operating systems.
Channeling the humor of cats, the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) wants to keep the NCSAM energy flowing by integrating fun cat photos and word play. The NCSA will reiterate the importance of keeping computer systems up-to-date through their #UpdateMeow campaign.
People get busy, but you need to take advantage of the meowment. (See what we did there?)
As easy as it is to ignore device notifications and update recommendations from operating systems, the NCSA is working with Intel and Microsoft to help people protect their data with the support of their mascot, Update Cat. Users are encouraged to verify the source of their update notifications before applying the update on their systems.
Here are two ideas to help you get the purr-fect message out there to help keep devices more secure:
- Download the #UpdateMeow Toolkit designed by NCSA.
- Share their suggested messages and graphics on social media:
• Improved security? We ain’t kitten: Today’s devices routinely receive updates to protect your personal info against online threats. #UpdateMeow staysafeonline.org/updatemeow
• Get a warm and fuzzy feeling: System and software updates ‒ when routinely applied ‒ can give you peace of mind #UpdateMeow staysafeonline.org/updatemeow
• Don't let cybercriminals lead you astray: Protect your personal data against threats and #UpdateMeow staysafeonline.org/updatemeow
National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) is widely celebrated each October in a global effort to spread awareness about cyber security.
Created by SANS cyber security experts, the customizable elements in the Planning Matrix and Toolkit can be used to help you create a stand-alone campaign or can be used to supplement anything you may already have planned for NCSAM at your organization. Demonstrate how to make a lasting impact at work, home, and in the community.