Security 401: Security Essentials Bootcamp Style consists of course instructions and hands-on sessions. To reinforce the skills covered in class and gain experience with the tools needed to implement effective security, there are hands-on labs every day. These lab sessions are designed to enable students to use the knowledge gained throughout the course in an instructor-led environment. Students will have the opportunity to install, configure, and utilize the tools and techniques that they have learned. In class you will receive a USB drive with 2 virtual machines, but it is critical that you have a properly configured system prior to class.
IMPORTANT: You can use any 64-bit version of Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux as your core operating system that also can install and run VMware virtualization products. You also must have a minimum of 8 GB of RAM or higher for the VM's to function properly in the class. A VMware product must also be installed prior to coming to class. Verify that under BIOS, Virtual Support is ENABLED.
Mandatory System Requirements
- System running Windows 64-bit version
- At least 8 GB RAM
- 50 GB of available disk space (more space is recommended)
- Administrator access to the operating system and all security software installed.
- Anti-virus software will need to be disabled in order to install some of the tools.
- An available USB port.
- Machines should NOT contain any personal or company data.
- Verify that under BIOS, Virtual Support is ENABLED.
Mandatory Downloads prior to coming to class:
It is critical that your CPU and operating system support 64-bit so that our 64-bit guest virtual machine will run on your laptop. VMware provides a free tool for Windows and Linux that will detect whether or not your host supports 64-bit guest virtual machines. For further troubleshooting, this article also provides good instructions for Windows users to determine more about the CPU and OS capabilities. For Macs, please use this support page from Apple to determine 64-bit capability.
Please download and install VMware Workstation 11, VMware Fusion 7, or VMware Player 7 or higher versions on your system prior to class beginning. If you do not own a licensed copy of VMware Workstation or Fusion, you can download a free 30-day trial copy from VMware. VMware will send you a time-limited serial number if you register for the trial at their website.
I have confirmed that:
- The system is running a 64-bit operating system
- I have administrator access to the operating system
- Anti-virus is disabled
- The system includes a working USB port
- I downloaded and installed the VMWare Player
If you have additional questions about the laptop specifications, please contact email@example.com.