Using an Open Source Threat Model for Prioritized Defense
- James Tarala
- Wednesday, January 27th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm
Threat actors are not magic and there is not an unlimited, unique list of threats for every organization. Enterprises face similar threats from similar threat sources and threat actors - so why does every organization need to perform completely unique risk assessments and prioritized control decisions? This presentation will show how specific, community-driven threat models can be used to prioritize an organization's defenses - without all the confusion. In this presentation James Tarala will present a new, open, community-driven threat model that can be used by any industry to evaluate the risk that faces them. Then he will show how to practically use this model to prioritize enterprise defense and map to existing compliance requirements facing organizations today. Whether you are in the Department of Defense or work for a small mom-and-pop retailer, you will be able to use this model to specifically determine a prioritized defense for your organization.
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Lunch & Learn: Short presentations given during the lunch break.
- Master's Degree Presentation: Presentations given by SANS Technology Institute's Master's Degree candidates.