Why Our Defenses Are Failing Us. One Click Is All It Takes...
- Bryce Galbraith
- Tuesday, October 8th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm
Organizations are spending unprecedented amounts of money in an attempt to defend their assets...yet all too often, one click is all it takes for everything to come toppling down around them. Every day we read in the news about national secrets, intellectual property, financial records, and personal details being exfiltrated from the largest organizations on earth. How is this being done? How are they bypassing our defenses (e.g. strong passwords, non-privileged accounts, anti-virus, firewalls/proxies, IDS/IPS, logging, etc.)? And most importantly, what can we do about it? A keen understanding of the true risks we face in today's threatscape is paramount to our success..
This presentation will walk through an example spear-phishing campaign to demonstrate:
- How attackers perform recon on key individuals in target organizations (e.g. admins, executives, engineers, help desk personnel, etc.)
- How attackers craft and deliver payloads that bypass most detection mechanisms
- How attackers elevate privileges to super-user levels - even on fully-patched systems
- How attackers bypass strong passwords, smart cards, multi-factor, bio-metrics, and virtually all forms of strong authentication
- How attackers move throughout the environment in search of their "prize" with minimal footprint or artifacts
- How attackers exfiltrate secrets from the organization undetected
Many organizations are busy being busy, managing all kinds of projects and initiatives. They have the right products. They have more logs than they know what to do with. Yet the uncomfortable question persists, "Is it working?" If one click by a user is all it takes, we need to re-evaluate...
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Vendor: Events hosted by external vendor exhibitors.
|General Session - Welcome to SANS||Dr. Eric Cole||Monday, October 7th, 8:15am - 8:45am||Special Events|
|APT: It is Time to Act||Dr. Eric Cole||Monday, October 7th, 7:15pm - 9:15pm||Keynote|
|Vendor Showcase||—||Tuesday, October 8th, 10:30am - 10:50am||Vendor Event|
|Vendor Showcase||—||Tuesday, October 8th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Vendor Event|
|Vendor Showcase||—||Tuesday, October 8th, 3:00pm - 3:20pm||Vendor Event|
|Why Our Defenses Are Failing Us. One Click Is All It Takes...||Bryce Galbraith||Tuesday, October 8th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|"So What?" The Most Important Question in Information Security||Kevin Fiscus||Tuesday, October 8th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Sick Anti-analysis Mechanisms in the Wild||Alissa Torres||Wednesday, October 9th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|GIAC Program Overview||Stephen Northcutt||Thursday, October 10th, 7:15pm - 7:45pm||Special Events|
|SANS Technology Institute Open House||Stephen Northcutt||Thursday, October 10th, 7:45pm - 8:15pm||Special Events|