Instant Expert: Legitimately and Ethically
- Ted Demopoulos
- Thursday, August 20th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm
Part of the Infosec Rock Star Series of talks: We naturally build expertise with experience, but we don't necessarily build "Expert Status". There are many reasons to develop expert status:
- Expert status gives you more influence
- People listen to experts readily
- Experts can make a bigger and more positive impact
- Experts are well paid
- Experts have a lot of flexibility to follow their passions in life
Even the mere concept of what constitutes an expert confuses most people. An expert is "a person with extensive knowledge or ability" which means they know significantly more than others. It is a relative term however. It doesn't mean #1 Expert in the world. It doesn't mean there is nothing else left to learn.
Chances are that you are already an expert on several topics.
In this talk we examine exactly what an expert is (again, you probably already are an expert), and the multiple ways to quickly, legitimately, and yes, sometimes even nearly instantly, develop expert status.
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Lunch & Learn: Short presentations given during the lunch break.
|General Session - Welcome to SANS||Johannes Ullrich, Ph.D||Monday, August 17th, 8:15am - 8:45am||Special Events|
|The Internet of Evil Things||Johannes Ullrich, Ph.D||Monday, August 17th, 7:15pm - 9:15pm||Keynote|
|Discover the Next Generation of Vulnerability Management Solutions||Rich McCrohan, Regional Sales Manager and Andy Nickel, Systems Engineer - Core Security||Tuesday, August 18th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|DLP FAIL!!! Using Encoding, Steganography, and Covert Channels to Evade DLP and Other Critical Controls||Kevin Fiscus||Tuesday, August 18th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|ICS/SCADA Cyber Attacks - Fact vs. Fiction||Robert M. Lee||Tuesday, August 18th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Prevent - Detect - Respond||—||Wednesday, August 19th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|The 14 Absolute Truths of Security||Keith Palmgren||Wednesday, August 19th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Debunking the Complex Password Myth||Keith Palmgren||Wednesday, August 19th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Instant Expert: Legitimately and Ethically||Ted Demopoulos||Thursday, August 20th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|