Why Our Defenses Are Failing Us. One Click Is All It Takes...
- Bryce Galbraith
- Tuesday, June 23rd, 7:15pm - 8:15pm
Organizations are spending unprecedented amounts of money in an attempt to defend their assets...yet all too often, one click is all it takes for everything to come toppling down around them. Every day we read in the news about national secrets, intellectual property, financial records, and personal details being exfiltrated from the largest organizations on earth. How is this being done? How are adversaries bypassing our defenses (e.g. strong passwords, non-privileged accounts, anti-virus, firewalls/proxies, IDS/IPS, logging, etc.)? And most importantly, what can we do about it? A keen understanding of the true risks we face in today's threatscape is paramount to keeping your ones and zeros where they belong...
This presentation will walk through an example spear-phishing campaign to demonstrate:
- How attackers perform recon on key individuals in target organizations (e.g. admins, executives, engineers, help desk personnel, etc.)
- How attackers craft and deliver payloads that bypass most detection mechanisms
- How attackers elevate privileges to super-user levels - even on fully-patched systems
- How attackers bypass strong passwords, smart cards, multi-factor, bio-metrics, and virtually all forms of strong authentication
- How attackers move adroitly throughout the environment in search of their "prize" with minimal footprint or artifacts
- How attackers exfiltrate secrets from the organization undetected
Many organizations are busy being busy, managing all kinds of projects and initiatives. They have the right products. They have more logs than they know what to do with. Yet the uncomfortable question persists, "Is it working?" If one click by a user is all it takes, we need to re-evaluate...
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Lunch & Learn: Short presentations given during the lunch break.
- Master's Degree Presentation: Presentations given by SANS Technology Institute's Master's Degree candidates.
|General Session - Welcome to SANS||Mike Poor||Monday, June 22nd, 8:15am - 8:45am||Special Events|
|Who's Watching the Watchers?||Mike Poor||Monday, June 22nd, 7:15pm - 9:15pm||Keynote|
|Instant Layered Security For Your Cloud Servers||Amir Rehman, Cloud Security Evangelist||Tuesday, June 23rd, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|SANS Technology Institute Lunch & Learn||Matthew Scott, Director, Institutional Effectiveness; School Certifying Official (SCO)||Tuesday, June 23rd, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|Jailbreak / Root Workshop for Mobile Devices||Chris Crowley||Tuesday, June 23rd, 5:30pm - 7:00pm||SANS@Night|
|Why Our Defenses Are Failing Us. One Click Is All It Takes...||Bryce Galbraith||Tuesday, June 23rd, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Prevent - Detect - Respond||Will Tipton, Security Engineer, Infogressive||Wednesday, June 24th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|The 13 Absolute Truths of Security||Keith Palmgren||Wednesday, June 24th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Security Dashboards - Metrics That Help You Manage Risk||Dean Sapp - Master's Degree Candidate||Wednesday, June 24th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||Master's Degree Presentation|
|Debunking the Complex Password Myth||Keith Palmgren||Wednesday, June 24th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm||SANS@Night|