Practical, Efficient Unix Auditing: With Scripts
- James Tarala
- Wednesday, April 10th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm
Technical audits of Unix operating system controls can be a daunting task for auditors - especially if the audit entails a variety of Unix that the auditor is not familiar with. But operating system audits are the bread and butter of most IS auditors. In most every technical audit that an IS auditor will perform there will be some level of inspection that is performed at the operating system level. Auditors therefore need the skills be able to audit the technical components of an operating system, whether they have a strong background in that operating environment or not. In this presentation James Tarala, a senior instructor with the SANS Institute, will provide a practical, step-by-step approach to auditing Unix operating systems. Not only will students receive a better understanding of the audit process for these technical controls, but they will walk out of the presentation with access to an audit script to assist them in their efforts!
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Vendor: Events hosted by external vendor exhibitors.
- Lunch & Learn: Short presentations given during the lunch break.
Monday, April 8
Tuesday, April 9
|Vendor Showcase||—||Tuesday, April 9th, 10:30am - 10:50am||Vendor Event|
|Stop Spear-Phishing and Watering Hole Attacks - Put the User in a Bubble||Nick Keller, Director of Sales, Mid-Atlantic||Tuesday, April 9th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|Vendor Showcase||—||Tuesday, April 9th, 3:00pm - 3:20pm||Vendor Event|
|Infosec Rock Star: How to be a More Effective Security Professional||Ted Demopoulos||Tuesday, April 9th, 7:15pm - 8:45pm||SANS@Night|