Welcome to SANS Talk
- Dr. Eric Cole and Paul Henry
- Welcome to SANS Talk presented by Dr. Eric Cole
- Incident Response & Forensics In The Cloud presented by Paul Henry
The move to Private and Public Cloud changes many things including how we respond for IR and Forensics. As an example: Traditionally in a physical realm we relied upon imaging a servers hard drive as well as RAM to perform a thorough analysis. Today in the Cloud creating a forensically sound image of an "instance" of a server to capture the servers abstracted hard disk and an image of its RAM brings new technical and legal complications. An additional issue to consider is that some vendors platforms are simply not fully supported by our current IR & Forensics Tools; todays commercial tools lack the ability to perform any analysis at all on a VMware VMFS file system. Lastly, downloading a large server image may simply be cost prohibitive due to the high bandwidth costs associated with moving data out of the cloud environment.
The best course of action may be to perform your analysis within the cloud - however, the methods used in the analysis within the Cloud must be forensically sound and as always in computer forensics they must be repeatable and the result must be the same findings. In this session we will begin to explore the changes that simply must be made to your IR and Forensics procedures to properly address IR & Forensics in the Cloud.
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.