Infosec Rock Star: How to be a More Effective Security Professional
- Ted Demopoulos
- Thursday, August 28th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm
Why are some of us much more effective than others? A very few of us are so effective, and well known, that we might even be called the rock stars of our industry. Now we personally may never be swamped by groupies, but we can learn the skills be more effective, well respected, and well paid.
Obviously it's not just about technology; in fact most of us are very good at the technology part. The myth of the geek with zero social skills is just that, a myth. However, the fact is that increasing our skills more on the social and business sides will make most of us more effective at what we do than learning how to read hex better while standing on our heads, becoming 'One with Metasploit' or understanding the latest hot technologies will.
Topics, with input from real Rock Stars of Infosec, include:
- Positioning: why they don't like us or security and what we can do about it.
- The Science of Influence: ruthless social engineering or effective professional skills?
- Getting things done: Brutal Time Management and The Art of Saying No without upsetting too many people.
- How to be a professional or at least appear to be one.
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Lunch & Learn: Short presentations given during the lunch break.
Sunday, August 24
Monday, August 25
|Next Generation FIrewalls||Jeff Eckley, Inside Sales Manager, Infogressive||Monday, August 25th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|Continuous Ownage: Why you Need Continuous Monitoring||Eric Conrad||Monday, August 25th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Vendor Security ... Really?||Mark Williams||Monday, August 25th, 8:15pm - 9:15pm||SANS@Night|
Tuesday, August 26
|Software Security Assurance: Keeping Your Security Program on the Rails||Bruce Jenkins, Program Manager, HP||Tuesday, August 26th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Lunch and Learn|
|Automating Linux Memory Capture for Analysis||Hal Pomeranz||Tuesday, August 26th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
Wednesday, August 27
|SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps||Chris Crowley||Wednesday, August 27th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
Thursday, August 28
|Infosec Rock Star: How to be a More Effective Security Professional||Ted Demopoulos||Thursday, August 28th, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|