Securing The Kids
- Lance Spitzner
- Thursday, November 1st, 7:15pm - 8:15pm
Technology is an amazing tool. It allows our kids to access a tremendous amount of information, meet new people, and communicate with friends around the world. In addition, for them to be successful in the 21st century they have to know and understand how to leverage these new tools. However, with all these capabilities come a variety of new risks, risks that as parents you may not understand or even be aware of. In this one hour presentation we cover the top three risks to kids online and the top five steps you can take to protect them. This course is based on the experiences and lessons learned from a variety of SANS top instructors who not only specialize in security, but are parents just like you. This talk is sponsored and delivered by SANS Securing The Human program.
Key take aways include:
- Why securing kids online is harder then securing kids in the physical world.
- Top three risks they face; strangers, friends and themselves.
- Use of education to inform and secure them.
- Use of a dedicated computer just for kids.
- Kids Acceptable Use Policy.
- Filtering and monitoring tools.
- Additional lessons learned and resources to learn more.
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
- Vendor: Events hosted by external vendor exhibitors.
Monday, October 29
Tuesday, October 30
|Vendor Expo||—||Tuesday, October 30th, 10:30am - 3:20pm||Vendor Event|
|How to Become a SANS Instructor||Chris Crowley||Tuesday, October 30th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Special Events|
|Vendor Lunch and Learn||—||Tuesday, October 30th, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Vendor Event|
|What's New in Windows 8 and Server 2012?||Jason Fossen||Tuesday, October 30th, 7:15pm - 8:45pm||SANS@Night|
Thursday, November 1
|GIAC Program Overview||Dr. Eric Cole||Thursday, November 1st, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Special Events|
|SANS Technology Institute Open House||Dr. Eric Cole||Thursday, November 1st, 12:30pm - 1:15pm||Special Events|
|Securing The Kids||Lance Spitzner||Thursday, November 1st, 7:15pm - 8:15pm||SANS@Night|
|Securing The Human||Lance Spitzner||Thursday, November 1st, 8:15pm - 9:15pm||SANS@Night|