Infosec Rock Star: How to be a More Effective Security Professional
- Ted Demopoulos
Why are some of us much more effective than others? A very few of us are so effective, and well known, that we might even be called the rock stars of our industry. Now, we personally may never be swamped by groupies, but we can learn the skills to be more effective, well respected, and well paid.
Obviously it's not just about technology; in fact, most of us are very good at the technology part. And, although the myth of the Geek with zero social skills is just that, a myth. The fact is that increasing our skills more on the social and business side will make most of us more effective at what we do rather than learning how to read hex better while standing on our heads, becoming One with Metasploit or understanding the latest, hot technologies.
Topics, with input from real Rock Stars of Infosec, include:
- Positioning why they don't like us or security and what we can do about it.
- The Science of Influence ruthless social engineering or effective professional skills?
- Getting things done: Brutal Time Management and The Art of Saying No without upsetting too many people.
- How to be a professional or at least appear to be one.
- How to let people know you rock. You might be the best in the world, but if no one knows it you re not going to do much good.
The following bonus sessions are open to all paid attendees at no additional cost. There are many different types of events that fall into these categories:
- SANS@Night: Evening presentations given after day courses have ended. This category includes Keynotes.
- Special Events: SANS-hosted events and other non-technical recreational offerings. This category includes, but is not limited to, Receptions and Information Tables.
|Infosec Rock Star: How to be a More Effective Security Professional||Ted Demopoulos||Special Events|
|GIAC Program Overview||—||Special Events|
|SANS Technology Institute Brief||—||Special Events|
|SIFT Workstation - The Art of Incident Response||Rob Lee||SANS@Night|
|What's New in Windows 8 and Server 2012?||Jason Fossen||SANS@Night|
|General Session - Welcome to SANS||—||Monday, August 6th, 8:15am - 8:45am||Special Events|
|Keynote: Windows Exploratory Surgery with Process Hacker||Jason Fossen||Monday, August 6th, 7:15pm - 8:45pm||Special Events|