We are opening this Summit to the community.
Register now to attend in-person or Live Online for FREE!
Free Summit: March 14 | Baltimore, MD & Live Online | Summit CPE Credits: 6
SANS New2Cyber Summit 2023: Reskilling Edition
The good news for prospective career changers is that the cybersecurity job market shows no sign of slowing down. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for information security workers will grow 35% faster than demand for other types of jobs between now and 2031, and the median annual salary is $102,000. Estimates by analysts and media outlets range from 500,000 to 700,000 unfilled cybersecurity jobs in the US alone.
Despite the promising statistics, it can feel overwhelming or even impossible to pivot into a cybersecurity career. There are seven categories and more than 30 areas of specialization, according to the NICE Framework developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. How is a newcomer to the field to narrow down their area of interest? What resources are available to learn about the field and build skills? And how do you convince an employer to take a chance on you if you’re coming from a seemingly unrelated field, without a background or formal training in cybersecurity?
In this one-day Summit, we’ll provide the answers to those questions and more. Topics include:
- Understanding the different job roles in cybersecurity and the skills needed for each
- How to match your unique traits and strengths with the right job for you
- Playing up and conveying transferable skills based on previous work experience
- Getting experience in cybersecurity when you have no experience in cybersecurity
- Free or low-cost resources available from SANS and from the community
- Alphabet soup – what all the degrees and certifications really mean, and whether you really need them
- Success stories from cybersecurity pros who made the switch from very different fields
What Attendees Say:
"I've been in IT a long time and landed my first job in Cybersecurity last year. Even though I've started a new career in Cybersecurity, I can't say enough about how much this summit will help me grow in my current role! I learned a lot, was inspired and got new direction I'll be able to take back to the office." - Joe Warner, Arctic Wolf
"I learned more than I was expecting and genuinely enjoyed every talk I attended. The summit and the CTF solidified that I am making the right choice in stepping into this industry." - Keely Robinson
Who should attend:
- Professionals in non-cybersecurity industries who are looking for a career change into cybersecurity (at any stage in life)
- Students interested in cybersecurity and want better perspective into this field
- Beginners in cybersecurity roles who want to enhance their skill set
- Practitioners already in the field that want to explore different focus areas
- Cybersecurity managers who are building teams and want to gain perspective of newcomers to the field