What is NetWars Continuous?
NetWars Continuous allows participants to build their skills on their own time over a four-month period working from their office or home across the Internet. With a whole set of new challenges beyond those included in NetWars Tournament, participants can build their skills and experiment with new techniques in this Internet-accessible cyber range. Also, NetWars Continuous supports a unique Automated Hint System that turns dead ends into learning opportunities.
NetWars Continuous - Always Available
- NetWars Continuous is available to NetWars Tournament participants or those who purchase any SANS long course for $999 and to non-participants for $2499.
- Allows participants an opportunity to advance their hands-on technical skills. Players learn the areas where they need to increase their proficiency so they may improve, come back, and continue the challenge.
- Gives participants four months of access to NetWars Continuous. At the end of the four months, participants will receive a written assessment of the skills which they demonstrated during NetWars.
You Will Be Able To:
If you successfully complete Level 1, you will be able to:
- Analyze the configuration of a local machine to find security flaws
- Evaluate browser forensic artifacts, command shell history, document metadata, and malware to discover crucial evidence
- Analyze packets for evidence of attacks
- Determine how an attacker pivoted through the network to gain access to a target machine
If you successfully complete Level 2, you will be able to:
- Analyze and isolate persistant, evasive malware
- Analyze a system to determine and thwart attackers' techniques
- Reconstruct network topologies and attack evidence from packet capture files
- Crack local passwords and wireless crypto keys
- Work with SQL databases to find security flaws and evidence
If you successfully complete Level 3, you will be able to:
- Conduct advanced vulnerability assessment of a target environment
- Perform network recon and discovery using a variety of tools
- Conduct network and web app pen testing using the most powerful and common attack techniques today
- Utilize Metasploit to gain access to and pivot through a target environment
- Develop the ability to understand and exploit a complex attack surface
If you successfully complete Level 4, you will be able to:
- Perform a complete penetration test of a DMZ and intranet systems
- Pivot from a DMZ into a well-patched intranet environment, using advanced penetration testing skills
- Employ spear-phishing tactics to gain access to an internal network environment
- Conduct a detailed analysis of the security flaws of target enterprise
- Show that you've achieved the hands-on skills needed to be a top information security practitioner
If you successfully REACH Level 5, you will be able to:
- Match wits with the best-of-the-best NetWars players
- Harden a castle system we provide you on the SANS network infrastructure
- Analyze attacks against your castle from other expert players as you try to thwart them
- Attack castles of other participants, planting your flag on their environments as you defend your own turf
- Be counted as among the best-of-the-best in the industry in defending, analyzing, and attacking systems and networks
"I have to say, NetWars Continuous is awesome! I feel much more confident of my skills than I did before I started. It's one thing to read about security skills--actually putting skills to use is entirely another. It takes a lot of energy and discipline to keep bashing away at the challenges, but it's worth it. I've learned much more than I would have in a short competition--the extra time to experiment and research attacks and defenses is invaluable. It also forced me to document my work as I went along, which is good training for the real world." - John York, BRCC