MGT305: Technical Communication and Presentation Skills for Security Professionals
This course helps define and refresh the best writing and speaking techniques.
Christopher Hills, Charles Schwab
This course is designed for every IT professional in your organization. In this course we cover the top techniques that will show any attendee how to research and write professional quality reports, and how to create outstanding presentation materials. Attendees will also get a crash course on advanced public speaking skills.
Writing reports is a task that many IT professionals struggle with, sometimes from the perspective of writing the report and other times from the perspective of having to read someone else's report! In the morning material we cover step by step how to work through the process of identifying critical ideas, how to properly research them, how to develop a strong argument in written form, and how to put it all down on paper. We also discuss some of the most common mistakes that can negatively impact the reception of your work and show how to avoid them. Attendees can expect to see the overall quality of their reports improve significantly as a result of this material.
After writing a meaningful report, it is not uncommon to find that we must present the key findings from that report before an audience, whether that audience is our department, upper management, or perhaps even the entire organization. How do you transform an excellent report into a powerful presentation? We will work through a process that works to either condense a report into a presentation or can even be used to write a presentation from scratch that communicates your important thoughts in a meaningful and interesting way.
Writing the presentation is only half of the battle, though. How do you stand up in front of a group of five or even five thousand and speak? We will share tips and techniques of top presenters that you can apply to give the best presentation of your career. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to work up and deliver a short presentation to the class followed by some personal feedback from one of SANS' top speakers.
- Writing Whitepapers and Business Reports:
- How to synthesize a topic
- Working with assigned topics
- How to research effectively
- How to develop a convincing argument
- Improving logical development of a topic
- How to defend a thesis
- How to turn research into a coherent professional quality whitepaper
- Writing reports that management can understand
- How to succeed at GIAC Gold papers
- Hands-on report writing workshop
- Creating Presentations
- How to create a top quality presentation
- How to run a business report into a presentation
- How to distill a whitepaper into a presentation
- Keys to writing effective slides
- Creating slides for a live presentation
- Proper use of transitions and artwork
- What works and what doesn't in charts and graphs
- Hands-on presentation development workshop
- Speaking and Presenting to an Audience
- Improving verbal communication skills
- How to present to an audience with power and skill
- Developing audience connections
- How to use slides during a live presentation
- How to keep your audience interested
- Effective storytelling
- How to make key points stand out
- How to deliver bad news in a business setting
- Advanced public speaking techniques and tips
Professionals like you have come to expect the very best in materials and presentation quality from SANS courses. In this course we have distilled the elements that go into writing high-quality material and the skills required to be a top public speaker from nearly two decades of experience. For years students have asked for a course on writing and delivering presentations; this course is the answer!
Tue Mar 12th, 2013
6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
|G. Mark Hardy|
Wed Mar 13th, 2013
6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
|G. Mark Hardy|
Students can bring any type of laptop with some type of word processing software and any type of presentation tool that will allow them to present a few slides to the class. There is no specific requirement for a particular operating system or office suite.
If you have additional questions about the laptop specifications, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Who Should Attend|
|What You Will Receive|
In this course, you will receive the following: