There is no shortage of publicity around failures in security - constant headlines detailing breaches and vulnerabilities at companies and government agencies. However, what you never hear about are the many organizations who aren't in the news because their security team has found ways to meet business and mission needs while protecting customer and business data from attackers. There are thousands of security practitioners out there who are quietly succeeding and making breakthroughs in advancing security.
Since 2011, SANS has been celebrating those "Difference Makers" whose innovation, skill and effort have driven real increases in information security. On December 15th at the SANS Cyber Defense Initiative Training Event in Washington DC, SANS will celebrate the 2015 "Difference Makers" with an award ceremony.
We are soliciting nominations from the SANS community for both "People Who Made a Difference" in security in 2015.
We invite you to suggest names of individual, teams and groups who implemented security processes or technology in 2015 that resulted in meaningful and measurable advances in security.
The criteria for nomination are:
- Must have led the implementation and deployment of security processes or controls in 2015 that either (a) made measurable increases in cybersecurity or (b) enabled new business initiatives (such as use of BYOD, cloud, Smart Grid, Digital Government, etc) while maintaining required security levels.
- The deployed solutions must show advances or innovation over common levels of practice.
- Must be willing, and have management approval, to be publicly acknowledged. Company or agency names can be kept anonymous if necessary.
Awards will be made in several categories, including but not limited to:
- Enhancing the Security Workforce
- Implementing the Critical Security Controls
- Meaningful Security Metrics
- Mitigating Advanced Threats
- Securing the Human
- Vertical Industry Difference Makers: ICS, Healthcare, Government, etc.
Submissions are due by 9 November 2015, and must include:
- Nominee Name, Organization and Contact Info
- Reason for nomination - how did they meet the criteria listed above
- Links to any public information about the nominee and their accomplishment.
Nominations will be evaluated by a team from SANS, security industry analysts and thought leaders. Send your nominations or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.